Tuesday, January 17, 2012

An education in math

So, I was helping the middle girl child with her maths homework this evening. They are apparently working on ratios. After a few false starts, she seemed to have the hang of it.

Now, keep in mind these units aren't quite multiple-choice, but they are of the "solve the equation to get an answer, then write the question "letter" next to the answer in the grid" type, where you 'decode' a sentence or what-have-you. If you have kids, you know exactly of whence I speak. If you don't, drop to your knees and praise God for your good fortune. (I jest [partially]).

So, anyways. I'm doing "me stuff" and she's doing homework, and she comes to me with a "problem".

Her: "I have two answers that are the same. Which one do I write down in the grid?"
Me: "Are they really the same? Let me see."
Her: "Here, see, these are both 1/2!!!"
Me: "Are you sure? How many stars are there?"
Her: "6"
Me: "How many total shapes are there?"
Her: "Oh, um, well, never mind."
Me: "Isn't math fun?!?!?"
Her: "No, not really."
Me: "It pays the bills."
Her: "But paying bills isn't fun."
Me: "Not being able to pay the bills is even less fun."
Her: "Ohhhhhhhhhh. . . . . . . "

My lesson here is done.

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you. I had to have a conversation with one of the kids about getting his schoolwork done. At the end, he simply said "I've heard this lecture before."

    Good thing I was 900 miles away.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete