Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I must be insane

When I was younger, I enjoyed running.1 I played soccer, rugby, swam, and ran cross country in high school. I had fairly decent cardio endurance. When I got to college, I was in the Corps of Cadets. We had thrice-weekly PT sessions, and running was always a component of that.

At my best, I could run a 5k in under 17 minutes (averaged about 5:30/mile).

This morning, I ran/walked 2k in 18 minutes.

So why do I have a hankering to get back into running? And to actually do a 5K (a fun run, not necessarily for competition)?

I do remember a sort of catharsis from running. There was this feeling of just being able to decouple, to put the body into motion and to allow the mind to just spin and churn and process. I can't say I ever had huge epiphanies, but I have resolved things, brought things into focus, or otherwise just uncluttered my mental space for a bit.

It may be time to get a new pair of togs.

1Yes, yes, I was running to evade the local dinosaur population. Har-de-har-har.

No comments:

Post a Comment