Wednesday, October 5, 2011

And then there were 5.

Approximately 69 months ago, I came home from work, and after doing the whole dinner and "get the kids to bed" thing, I plopped down on the couch and turned on Sports Center. The Mrs. came walking into the living room and asked if I could turn it off, because "we need to talk". I'll be honest, my first thought was "Oh great, what have I done now?"

She asked me if I remembered us talking about possibly converting the garage (we lived in a 3-bedroom, 2-bath house at the time). Feeling VERY confused as to the topic of the conversation, I said "yesssss. . . . . . . ." I remember that she had a funny look on her face, but I was so off-kilter by the seemingly random question, my brain was moving in super slow motion. "I think we need to get a quote on doing that," she said. "Okay. . . . . . .", I replied. "Why????"

She slowly pulled her hands out from behind her back (why did I not notice she was hiding something earlier? Oh yeah, I was wanting to watch T.V., a little miffed she interrupted, and thrown off by the whole topic of conversation).

Oh boy!!!

Yep, number 4 is on the way!!!


5 years ago today, my son was born. Honestly, the Mrs. and I thought we were done having kids, but someone *cough*me*cough* just never did quite get that appointment made with the urologist.

With three girls first, let me tell you having a boy in the house was a HUGE adjustment. Even though I've joked in the past that he would have the best looking hair in Kindergarten, it's been amazing how different he's been. Yes, he will occasionally throw on the cheerleading outfit (skort included) and have fun with that, but he'd much rather play with his action figures, or his Tonka trucks, or build stuff out of Legos.

I also have a much better appreciation for what my parents went through. They both got this knowing look when we told them it was going to be a boy. I remember comments along the lines of "payback is hell" and "now you'll know what we went through". I blew them off thinking "it can't be that bad."

Um, yeah, wow, I was wrong.

But, as frustrating as it can be, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. It's only been 5 years, but I can already see shades of the man he will grow up to be. He has his little annoying streaks, but he also has his manners, and will open the door for the ladies, and say his "yes ma'ams" and "yes sirs". I'm looking forward to school, and sports, and scouting, and camping, and all those things, both with him and his sisters.

Happy birthday buddy!!

And then there were 5

No comments:

Post a Comment